Adelaide West - South Australia

Welcome - It's Saturday 22nd of July 2017

Adelaide's famous Lifestyle Precinct: Market Fresh Food, Dining, Homewares, Entertainment, Accommodation

MENU

Christmas Wrapping Paper

Market Quarter 2015 Christmas Wrapping Paper
  • A - Victoria Square, Adelaide, Giant Christmas Tree - Experience the wonder of Christmas Lights along Grote Street, in Victoria Square and on Adelaide Town Hall. (photo supplied with thanks to Paula McManus - see her Weekend Notes photos here http://www.weekendnotes.com/victoria-square-christmas-tree/)
  • C - Adelaide Credit Union Christmas Pageant - The first Adelaide Christmas Pageant was in 1933, in the midst of the Great Depression. It has come a long way since that procession of eight floats and four bands! The 2015 Pageant celebrated a 20 year partnership with South Australian Credit Unions and entranced the crowd with 64 floats and 172 moving performing sets.
  • B - Peoplestores Department Store, Gouger Street, Adelaide - Circa 1950s. Peoplestores was a popular shopping spot, with its smart art deco style facade featuring large plate glass windows, partially leaded and a wide cantilevered verandah. The store was located on the corner of California Street, with the Adelaide Central Market is on the right side closer to Victoria Square.
  • E - Adelaide Credit Union Christmas Pageant - Fairytale and fantasy floats, colourful clowns, marching bands, twirling dancers and other magical characters bring smiles to the faces of children and adults alike.
  • G - Chinatown Adelaide - This stunning traditional-style Chinese arch is a Paifang. Adelaide City Council erected two Paifang on Moonta Street, to highlight the southern (Gouger Street) and northern (Grote Street) entrances to the Adelaide's Chinatown. They are protected by Chinese Guardian Lions (Shi).
  • D - Adelaide Central Market, Grote Street - Circa 1960s. Looking at the northern face of the Adelaide Central Market and Tower in Grote Street. Note the vehicles parked along the centre of Grote Street.
  • N - Adelaide Central Market Holiday Action - Little Market Chefs has become a regular school holiday activity in the Adelaide Central Market.
  • F - Adelaide Central Market, Western Roadway - Circa 1950s. The Western Roadway has since been demolished to create today's Market Plaza. This photo looks south towards Gouger Street. Grote Street is behind with Her Majesty's Theatre directly across the road.
  • R - Her Majesty's Theatre, Grote Street - This Adelaide landmark has been in constant use as a theatre since it opened as The Tivoli on 6 September 1913. Countless theatrical luminaries have trodden its boards including WC Fields, Spike Milligan, Sir Robert Helpman, Keith Michell, Dame Judi Dench and of course, Dame Edna Everage (aka Barry Humphries). The name was changed to Her Majesty's Theatre in 1962.
  • Y - Adelaide Credit Union Christmas Pageant - Clowns are a major feature of Adelaide's annual Christmas Pageant. They run, skip, hop, jump, fall off tricycles, trip over imaginary obstacles and generally have their audience in fits of laughter with their crazy antics.
  • H - Spreading Bitumen in the early 1900s - Circa 1920. Hard at work on the corner of West Terrace and Grote Street a fascinating look at road building technologies at the turn of the 19th Century. Note the brand new Motterams Biscuit Factory in the background (today known as Arnotts)
  • ZA - Adelaide Central Market - South Australians have been purchasing local, fresh produce, smallgoods and meats from Adelaide Central Market since a group of enterprising Market Gardeners set up their carts on a vacant site between Gouger and Grote Streets in 1869. The first stone was laid for the Market facade in 1900.
  • I - Adelaide High School - 1912 - Boys and Girls assembled along Grote Street, Adelaide, near the corner of Morphett Street. The school later became Adelaide Girls High School, which eventually merged with and moved to the boys' school on West Terrace. (photo courtesy of State Library of South Australia - Search Collection - PRG 280/1/44/412)
  • ZC - Multicultural Radio Station 5EBI Wall Mural - Australia's oldest multicultural broadcaster, Radio 5EBI 103.1fm, commissioned this striking mural to celebrate the diversity of the 40 plus ethnic communities who are its members. You'll find it at 10 Byron Place, Adelaide.
  • J - Opening of a new Creche - Circa 1890s
  • ZE - Adelaide Credit Union Christmas Pageant - Kingsley's Vintage Cars travel the Pageant route with a team of "London Bobbies", who share the load of waving to the enthusiastic crowd.
  • K - Windsor Konditore Smallgoods - Circa 1950s. Windsor Konditore was a popular shop in the Adelaide Central Market.
  • L - Adelaide Central Market - Circa 1950s - The Market has always been THE place to go for your fresh fruit, veg and produce. A trip to the market was as much a day out to catch up with friends.
  • M - J Hill & Co's Coaches in Franklin Street, Adelaide - Circa 1903, the coaches loaded passengers outside the Windsor Castle Hotel, close to Victoria Square. The four horse coach on the right has at least 15 passengers seated outside in three tiers. Note the heavy web of telegraph wires hanging over the street and a man buys from a fruit sellers barrow. By the close of the 19th Century, Hills was the largest and oldest surviving establishment of its kind in Australia. (photo courtesy of the State Library of South Australia Acre 267 Collection - B 2155)
  • O - Bristol Hotel, Franklin Street, Adelaide - 1925 view of the Bristol Hotel on the corner of Franklin and Eliza Streets. Known since 1940 as the Franklin Hotel. Was the meeting place of the Trades and Labour Council from its inception in 1884 until 1888 when the first Trades Hall was built. (photo thanks to the State Library of South Australia Acre 242 Collection - B 2449)
  • P - Adelaide Credit Union Christmas Pageant - Attending the annual Credit Union Christmas Pageant is a tradition spanning generations for many South Australian families. Some adults arrive as early as 3 or 4am to snare a prime viewing location, with the remainder of their families turning up much closer to the Pageant's starting time.
  • Q - JW Turner Plumber, 65 Franklin Street, Adelaide - Circa 1928. On the left is a showroom for Austin motor cars, and on the right, the premises of JW Turner Plumbers; Clarence E Hughes Upholsterers and the Adelaide Plating Works. The shiny motor cars in the window of the Austin showroom contrast with the transport of an earlier era; a delivery horse harnessed to a cart and feeding from a nosebag in the street. The Austin dealership was soon to expand into Turner's premises. (photo thanks to the State Library of South Australia Acre 264 collection - B 4798)
  • S - Rickards Tivoli Theatre, Grote Street, Adelaide Market Quarter - Circa 1955. The Tivoli Theatre today is known as Her Majesty's Theatre, located on the corner of Pitt and Grote Streets. To the right is The Hotel Metropolitan. Over 100 years since being built, the theatre continues to attract world renowned performers, musical and theatrical stage shows. (photo thanks to the State Library of South Australia Adelaide and Messenger Press collections - B 71876/90)
  • T - HRH the Prince of Wales visits Adelaide and Gouger Street - 12 July 1920 - The visit of His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales to Adelaide as the Royal procession passes. Looking down Gouger Street standing in Victoria Square. Note Charles Moores Department Store on the right - today know as the Sir Samuel Way Courts building. (photo thanks to the State Library of South Australia Album Collection - B 45674/1)
  • U - JF Turner Butcher Shop, 227 Gouger Street, Adelaide's Market Quarter - Circa 1892, Turners were on the corner of Gouger & Lowe Streets, still standing today renovated and looking grand. (photo thanks to State Library of SA Acre 396 Collection - B 19417)
  • V - Victoria Square, Adelaide - Circa late 1800s. Looking south from the GPO Clock Tower, Victoria Square was home to Horse & Carts; Queen Victoria in the centre of King William Street. Charles Moores (Sir Samuel Way Courts building) not yet built on the corner of Gouger Street.
  • W - Adelaide GPO Clocktower and Victoria Square - 1989 view looking from The Advertiser building, past the Adelaide General Post Office (GPO) to Victoria Square. Adelaide's Market Quarter precinct includes Victoria Square, and runs off to the right towards West Terrace. (photo thanks to the State Library of South Australia Adelaide & Messenger Press Collections - B 71876/109)
  • X - Actors Dinner at the Tivoli Theatre - Circa 1914. Actors celebrate at a dinner party with a highly decorated table. Today, the Tivoli is known as Her Majesty's Theatre on the corner of Grote and Pitt Streets, Adelaide. (photo thanks to the State Library of South Australia Searcy Collection - PRG 280/1/8/326)
  • Z - Gouger Street in the 1800s - Looking south west along Gouger Street, from a position at the edge of Victoria Square. Charles Moores Department Store can be seen on the right.
  • ZB - St Patricks Catholic Church, Grote Street, Adelaide - 15 March 1914. A crowd and several assorted vehicles gathered outside Saint Patricks for its opening. The church at the western end of Market Quarter's Grote Street, close to West Terrace, remains very popular with parishioners. (photo thanks to the State Library of South Australia's Searcy Collection - PRG 280/1/19/141)
  • ZD - Grote Street, Adelaide - Circa 1930. Looking east along Grote Street towards Victoria Square. On the right you can see the Adelaide Central Market tower and left the Tivoli Theatre (today Her Majesty's Theatre). Trams ran down the length of Grote Street, with horses and carts gradually giving way to the new motor vehicles.

Christmas in Market Quarter will be festive as our local businesses hand out our precinct Christmas Wrapping paper. This Gallery contains all the images on the wrapping paper with more details of each photograph.