Gouger and Grote Streets, Adelaide
(just west of Victoria Square)
The Market began in Grote Street in 1869 and was known as the City Markets, with its official opening on 23 January 1869. More than 500 people attended the first market day and by 6am all stock was sold.
More than 150 years later, the Market is an Adelaide icon still thriving with activity and well over 100 businesses.
Families of generations do their weekly fruit, veg, meat, smallgoods and fresh fish shopping in the market.
Local farmers bring their produce direct from farm to market, offering beautifully fresh local produce.
Today the Central Markets are surrounded by the Central Market Arcade, Adelaide China Town, and Market Plaza. The 'centre' of the Central Markets is made up primarily of fresh produce stalls, with the perimeter and arcade shops being mainly cafés, restaurants, and variety stores.