Buy a Seat Her Majesty's Theatre
A unique opportunity for patrons to buy a Seat in Her Majesty's Theatre is here. Treat yourself to a seat plaque acknowledging your donation. A plaque on the back of your chosen seat for 3 years or 25 years is available now. Go to buyaseat.hermajestystheatre.org.au or phone 08 8216 8826.
The redevelopment will be completed as a $66 million project in 2020. The State Government has provided an interest-free loan to Adelaide Festival Centre Trust. The Foundation is required to raise at least $3 million to make up the difference.
The cost of the project has increased due to unforeseen structural issues and new opportunities including a fourth level gallery and function space which will be able to operate independently of the theatre. The gallery provides an additional cultural attraction and a potential function space.
An additional Back of House floor will provide for a new Rehearsal space which will help to alleviate the rehearsal space shortage in Adelaide and will also provide a boutique performance space.
This project will only be completed fully with the Adelaide Festival Centre Foundation committing to raise at least $3 million to complete the makeover of our Grand Old Dame of Grote Street.
Her Majesty's Theatre has been entertaining Adelaide for over a hundred years. The Grand Old Dame was built as part of the legendary vaudeville circuit and in fact is the only original Tivoli theatre still standing. Through two world wars and a devastating depression, through the onslaught of talkies and television, this great theatre has steadfastly served her community.
62 Grote Street will be a four level modern structure in harmony with the heritage-listed Her Majesty's Theatre building. This redevelopment will be good for patrons, it will be good local artists and it will be good for the city of Adelaide in particular the Grote St Precinct.
The renewed structure will provide the following benefits:
- Increased seating capacity from 970 to almost 1,500 seats
- More commercial blockbusters coming to Adelaide
- Over recent years HMT audiences have been between 80,000 - 100,000 a year. We anticipate it will grow to 250,000 because there will be more shows and more matinees
- New foyer spaces
- Improved disability access
- Upgraded technical equipment and orchestra pit facilities
- New modern bathrooms on each level
- Increased and ongoing employment opportunities for artists and theatre staff through increased activity and capacity of Her Majesty's Theatre
- South Australians will no longer have to travel interstate to see national and international shows
- Renewed activation of the Markets/Chinatown/Grote Street area
- Cultural and entertainment linkage from Adelaide Oval through to Gouger Street
With the renovation, the Dame's increased seating capacity will make it a much more attractive and lucrative venue for music, dance, comedy, theatre and musical productions. This will in turn increase the number of performance nights, as well as dramatically increase the number of matinee performances and matinee sessions.
The Adelaide Festival Centre Trust anticipates that, as a result of the renewal of Her Majesty's Theatre, attendances should double.
Please support Her Majesty's theatre renewal project. Hermajestystheatre.org.au