Central Market Arcade Redevelopment
In late May 2023 ICD's builder, Multiplex, took full possession of the Central Market Arcade to establish the site and commence demolition works.
Early site establishment works comprised:
· Level 1 car parking above the Central Market Arcade vacated for the redevelopment (to be returned upon completion of Market Square).
· Internal modifications to the Central Market UPark, including changes to car park circulation, supported by directional signage.
· Installation of hoardings and concrete barriers to Grote and Gouger Streets creating builder loading zones, supporting safe pedestrian movement for the duration of the project.
· Relocation of the trader loading zone further west along Grote Street adjacent Market Plaza.
Multiplex has since made significant progress on the demolition works including:
· Removal of the Central Market Arcade level 1 roof structure.
· Substantial demolition at the Gouger Street end with 50% of the overall Central Market Arcade structure demolished to ground level.
· Ongoing internal soft strip demolition at the Grote Street end, including within the Coles basement.
· Removal of the Grote Street parapet brick wall (above Coles).
· Ongoing demolition material processing.
The above works have been supported by ongoing dust suppression (including on-site water application), vibration monitoring, exclusion zones and traffic management (including on-site personnel).
Demolition works for the Market Square project remain on track. Once demolition has been completed the works will progress to on-site retention piling and basement excavation.
The Market Square project is programmed for completion in February 2026.
ICD Property, Multiplex, and the City of Adelaide will continue to work closely with key stakeholders during the redevelopment and will continue to work to mitigate precinct impacts.
The $400 million Central Market Arcade Redevelopment will create an enhanced and expanded Central Market as well as residential apartments, a premium hotel, office accommodation, retail spaces and a public rooftop garden.
The redevelopment, which is located adjacent to the Central Market, is a partnership between ICD Property and the City of Adelaide providing a catalytic investment in the city. Market Square will create a new social and commercial heart that will preserve and enhance the Central Market and secure the future of the Market District for future generations.
The City of Adelaide will retain ownership of 6,000m2 of retail space along with 260 public carparks and basement loading and service areas.
Market Square and the expanded market experience will be an inviting place for people to gather, eat, live and work, and with exciting new retail opportunities, showcasing the best of South Australian artisans and producers.
The new precinct will set a benchmark for design in South Australia incorporating unique features such as an elevated garden terrace. The Market Hall gathering space will transform the way we move around and connect with each other.
For more information on the project can be found at visit cityofadelaide.com.au/cmar
We encourage shoppers to continue to shop locally and support the amazing small businesses in and around our precinct as this development progresses.